Thursday, January 5, 2012

DOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEET!

Hi guys!!

So are you all signed up for Nathalie's Creative Jump Start 2012?  YOU'RE NOT?!?!  Well GO!  GO RIGHT NOW!!!!  No really, I'll wait.  It's free, and it's amazing.  It's amazing, and it's free!  Some of your very favourite artists have put together tutorials in various formats that will give your creativity a kick in the pants.  It's possible that I'm raving prematurely, because to be honest I've only watched the first video - but you can see by the impressive lineup of artists that this is going to be an EPIC series.

The first artist featured (and wow, did this start with a bang) is Dina Wakley.  I've been a big fan of hers for a very long time; her style is very free and inspiring and COLOURFUL!  And we all know how much I like bright vibrant colours.  Her Creative Jump Start is a warm-up exercise that she does before she starts creating for real.  Although you may agree with me that some of her "warm-ups" are cooler than some of my finished work!  But that's neither here nor there.

I followed her example, and this is what I came up with tonight.  Unfortunately it's a bit too late to start any "real" art, but I really like these the way they are!  Check them out:



These tags are basically finished.  I'd probably stick them on an art journal page as is.  OR cut bits out of them to use on something else. I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists on them, Staz-On black ink for the stamping, and Sharpies to do the writing.


The next three.  I'd probably add to these, possibly with some words on Dymo tape; and then use them on art journal pages or in letters to my pen pals.  Especially the one that says "Do not look inside."  That really has to go on the outside of a cool envelope, don't you think?  I like to keep the mailman on his toes.  Hee!


The final three.  The middle one is the only one where I changed up the technique a little.  I got out a stencil and some Mr. Huey's white spray, and gave it a spritz.  However, the dark blue ink underneath wasn't dry yet, so the white turned light blue.  However, I really like how it turned out.  I fiddled a little extra with the one on the right.  Dina's work is really organic, her stuff just seems to turn out right away, but I liked the red on the edge so I purposely added more, even though it totally felt like cheating.  I was trying to get some yellow in there too but my yellow wouldn't spray so I was just dripping it everywhere and making a colossal mess.  SO MUCH FUN!!!!


Just to give you an idea of one reason why this jump start grabbed me so instantly: Dina mentioned that she often does her warm up exercises on manila tags, and I just HAPPEN to have a drawer full of them.  That I organized just last week.  Serendipity?  I think so.

Want to see some close-ups?  Well, okay!
 

On this first one, I loved how the two colours ran together; you can also see a hint of the shimmer that the spray leaves behind.


Better view of the shimmer/glimmer; kind of strangely focused though.  I only have my iPhone for taking pics at the moment, but these did turn out surprisingly well!


This one is almost too simple; it definitely needs something.  But I so love how the red blends into the orange that I couldn't bear to cover it up yet.  


And finally, this one is much more messy-looking but I love the distressed effect that I (accidentally) got.

Now, I just hope that all this mojo lasts until the next time I get a crack at my art supplies.  Stay tuned!!!

Love Shelley!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think...