Sunday, May 27, 2012

The old man is snoring.

It's raining.  It's been raining all morning.  It's dreary, and cool and kinda miserable.  But you know what?  I still have needs.


Nothing complicated, just a little zing of colour.  This is just a thrown-together page I did in my regular journal.  I had used marker on the other side of the paper and it bled through, so I covered it up with a page I took out of this old 1920s dictionary from England:



Then I put down a coat of clear gesso on top of it, so it wouldn't just soak up any moisture, and also to strengthen it a little - this paper is pretty old and fragile.

I started fooling around with watercolours but that just gave me a pretty background; I wanted MORE.  So I checked out my Pinterest "inspiration" board, because I was drawing a blank.  I found this sea plant and doodled it onto my page, then coloured it in with Prismas.  Turns out the clear gesso gave the paper a LOT of tooth, and by that I mean it really chewed up a ton of pencil crayon while I was colouring.  The good part is that the colour went on beautifully.

It was still too bland so I used a new Sharpie brush marker to outline it and an old Sharpie white paint pen to draw on the droplets.  Then some stamps and more white prisma, and voila.  It's not refined or amazing, but I fulfilled that gnawing need to put down some colour on something.  And since it's not in one of my "ART" journals, I was okay with just hacking around and not really caring much if it turned out or not.

In fact, now that I've done this page there are several things I would do differently, but hey, who cares.  It's not even on decent paper, and it was just something to do on a quiet Sunday morning.

For what it's worth, these are my favourite bits:



Okay, now YOU go make something.  Then report back.

Love Shelley!

1 comment:

  1. I so love this page, it just grabs you, I love big bold colour that pops off the page, and this was did it for me

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...